Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Master's Last

Watched Family Plot last night, for the first time since it came out in 1976. Hitchcock's last film, made on a small budget and with some problems in plot and continuity. But there are still a half-dozen "Hitchcock moments" when you sit up and shake your head. My favorite: a kidnapper in his secret cellar lair, hauling an unconscious body...and then the doorbell rings.

Also: the mid-70s. When William Devane, Bruce Dern, and Karen Black were considered good-looking.

4 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I've always loved The Trouble With Harry.

And a surreptitious viewing of the Birds when I was seven (my parents thought I went to bed, but I watched from the stair) gave me a lifelong fear of massed birds.

That bastard.

Substance McGravitas said...

I get masses of crows every workday. The crows here commute: in the morning they head west, and in the evening they come back east to settle in a wooded area. IT IS CREEPY.

N__B said...

When I was at school in upstate NY, the small town I lived in was infested. I discovered that crows (unlike cats) do not like it when you attempt to talk back to them in their own language.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Hey, the presence of crows is a good thing, because it means the absence of West Nile virus.